The Decree respecting security guards does not refer to job titles or a type of business. It is the nature of the work that determines who is subject to the Decree. Therefore, persons subject to the Decree are not necessarily licensed under the Private Security Act. For example, school crossing guards have been recognized as security guards for the purposes of the Decree, as well as road signalman.
The Decree applies to security agencies and their employees. The terms “security agency” and “security guard”, as well as the work covered, are defined in the Decree:
A security agency is person carrying out or having someone else carry out for others security work provided for in paragraph 20 of section 1.01 of the Decree. An employer may be subject to the Decree in respect of a marginal part of its activities.
A security guard is a person who, on behalf of or through a security agency, performs security work as mentioned in paragraph 20 of section 1.01 of the Decree.
Security work: duties related to watching, monitoring, safety or protection, comprising any of the following tasks:
- monitoring, watching or protecting persons, property or premises;
- issue, when authorized, violation reports related to parking or other violations provided for in any other Act;
- directing or controlling traffic;
- supervising the employees of an employer’s customer;
- patrolling in a motor vehicle, on a bicycle or on foot;
- preventing shoplifting;
- preventing theft, fire and vandalism;
- ensuring, as a school crossing guard, the safety of children at school crossings or at intersections;
The following tasks may be considered security work when performed as a complement to any of the security tasks mentioned in the first paragraph:
- directing or driving persons to their destinations;
- checking passes;
- giving out information;
- receiving persons;
- collecting and registering found objects.
However, the Decree provides for some exceptions. These are listed in section 2.03.
For more details, we invite you to consult the Decree respecting security guards or to contact a member of our team at 1-800-361-5442 option 1.